Saturday, April 3, 2010

Weird Intro to Who I Am

A friend of my has gained recent notoriety in one of the most prestigious, if fictional, publications know to intelligentsia, the much heralded and sought after news cough, the, ”Saskatchewan Sasquatch.”  The rag is a purveyor nonsensical yarns that lack all adherence to the facts.  And what they lack in facts they make up with by substituting jovial rants of misguided purpose.

My friend, George Banff, has taken no umbrage and regards facetious accounts regarding his outrageous theories of living in systems to be fodder to which he ascribes a flippant and disregarding manner.  You see, the article in question actually gave Banff his name.  Yes, if not for the Sasquatch we would have no way of knowing how to address Banff.

On February 30, 1998 (the headline date on the Sasquatch) the front page loudly declared, “Baptist Administrator Now Friendly Friar.”  Hidden in the article was a more nefarious description for the acronym; Bad Ass Now Fighting Fundraising.  This story then proceeded to slander Banff’s schedule for undermining the financial system that supports the church.

Or, Banff = Bad Ass Now Fighting Fundamentalism.  A red herring deceiving us away from understanding the religious structures and systems was launched to deflect the intensity of our cause. 

So Banff referred the story and the hype surrounding it to a lawyer who insisted that Banff had a case, but being an emotional basket case did not generate enough interest to deal with the scandal.

So Banff asked me to correct the deceptions.  And since I was the biggest emotional basket case he knew he thought I would be the best guy to deal with the fiction.  So my story isn’t about Banff but about my journey through the perils of an average life, by an average guy, just trying to survive in a culture that confuses the snot out of me.

And so Banff’s introduction is only a ruse, used to introduce .......... Me.

I have been encouraged to write my story. I have no real place to start and probably wont follow any chronology in my rabbit trail approach to producing a prose worthy of its subject.

Banff has encouraged me to get my story on virtual paper.  So I am creating another blog to tell the world who I am.  Banff will be my intermediary.  The portal through which I will express the struggles and victories, hopes and fears, dreams and realities, beliefs and lies, choices in both ignorance and wisdom, and successes and failures.

So let me tell you about who I am.  I am fifty years old and the view looking back is far different then the view I had looking ahead at 20.  I would like to think I have become wiser and more hopeful about life and that I am ageing well.  I would like to think that my story will encourage and bless others and that penning it will be more than just a cathartic experiment.

So walk with me as I tell my tale.

1 comment:

  1. I will follow this with interest I am sure. I am also quite curious about your journey of exposing fundamentalism and what that looks like for you. It seems I might have some commonality in that regard. but...i will wait and see. write on, write on!!

    ReplyDelete